Psilocybin Patent Updates – CaaMTech, LLC
Psilocybin Patent Updates – CaaMTech, LLC
On August 9, 2018, the United States Patent and Trademark Office published U.S. Patent Application Publication No. US 2018/0221396, by Andrew R. Chadeayne and assigned to CaaMTech (aka “the CaaMTech Application”).
The application is titled Compositions and Methods Comprising a Psilocybin Derivative. This application responds to the community’s longstanding unmet need for new and improved psilocybin formulations. The subject matter of the application is described below. When this application was filed, the “state of the art” for psilocybin provided for either (A) naturally occurring magic mushrooms or (B) in very limited circumstances, purified psilocybin.
- The state of the art lacked any appreciation for active psilocybin derivatives (e.g., baeocystin) other than psilocybin itself.
- The state of the art lacked any appreciation for the synergistic effects achieved by co-administering a first psilocybin derivative with a second psilocybin derivative. This mindset is akin to the cannabis industry, which only recently recognized the importance of the “entourage effect” in cannabis products. See Scientific American April 20, 2017, “Some of the Parts: Is Marijuana’s “Entourage Effect” Scientifically Valid?” (Discounting the polypharmacology of cannabis and concluding that THC is the sole active ingredient).
- The state of the art lacked any appreciation for the synergistic effects achieved by co-administering a first psilocybin derivative with a second neurotransmitter modulator.
Andrew R. Chadeayne is the sole inventor listed on the application.
Andrew Chadeayne has assigned the application to CaaMTech, LLC.
What is CaaMTech?
CaaMTech, LLC is a company formed to advance psilocybin research and patient access by leveraging the patent system. The key premises upon which CaaMTech’s strategy is based are as follow:
- Psilocybin based medicines have incredible potential for treating some of the world’s worst mental health problems, such as depression.
- With a few exceptions, psilocybin derivatives are only accessible by consuming “magic mushrooms.”
- Magic mushrooms are often difficult to attain, unpleasant to consume, and highly variable in concentration/potency.
- The pharmaceutical industry is excellent at formulating convenient, reliable, and precise dosage forms.
- The pharmaceutical industry is hesitant in developing psilocybin based medicines because of their concern that psilocybin cannot be patented.
- Some advocates of psychedelic medicine have expressed concern that involvement by pharmaceutical companies could hurt access to psychedelic medicine.
- Some advocates of natural medicine have expressed concern that isolated, synthetic molecules do not provide the same benefits as eating the whole organism.
CaaMTech’s Mission = Using Patents for Good
CaaMTech aims to address all of the above concerns by strategically using its patent assets to support the expedient development of psilocybin formulations for treating mood disorders. Towards this goal, CaaMTech has developed the next generation of (patentable) psilocybin formulations. CaaMTech had captured that technology in a suite of patent applications. Now, CaaMTech is working to engage strategic partners who are best suited to do the greatest good for improving patient access to psilocybin based medicines.
Subject Matter of CaaMTech Application
The abstract of the CaaMTech Application reads as follows:
“new compositions and methods comprising a psilocybin derivative. In one embodiment, the compositions disclosed herein are used for a method of regulating a neurotransmitter receptor, e.g., a serotonin receptor. In one embodiment, the compositions disclosed herein comprise purified compounds, e.g., a purified psilocybin derivative, a purified cannabinoid, or purified terpene.”
The subject matter disclosed in the CaaMTech Application includes at least the following categories of new, patentable subject matter:
- Formulations comprising synergistic combinations of two or more psilocybin derivatives
- Formulations comprising synergistic combinations of a psilocybin derivative with a neurotransmitter modulator, e.g., an allosteric modulator
- Methods for treating a variety of diseases and conditions (e.g., depression) comprising administering the compositions disclosed in the application.